What is Digital Accessibility?
Digital accessibility enables all people, including those with disabilities, to access electronic resources (including web pages, software, mobile devices, e-readers, etc.) and communications. The Digital Accessibility Committee advocates a holistic approach to examining and governing UIC’s web content, services, and technology, with the goal of achieving universal accessibility and usability of digital communications, appropriate use of resources, and compliance with web accessibility standards and regulations.
A goal of the Digital Accessibility Committee is to help the UIC campus continually improve its web accessibility, so that people with disabilities can access web content. Web accessibility also benefits others, including people with changing abilities due to aging. Web accessibility encompasses all disabilities that affect access to the web, including visual, auditory, physical, speech, cognitive, and neurological disabilities.
About this site
This site has been designed to help UIC webmasters create and maintain accessible websites in accordance with UIC’s official commitment to persons with disabilities, the Illinois Board of Higher Education (IBHE), the Illinois Information Technology Accessibility Act (IITAA), and other federal and state legislative acts applying to electronic resources.
UIC Digital Accessibility Committee
The University of Illinois at Chicago Digital Accessibility Committee oversees the policy and procedures relating to accessibility of online information. This committee supports the campus in the process of advancing Web accessibility through:
- coordinating training and assistance with Web accessibility
- providing accessibility assessment tools
- providing reports and recommendations on how campus webmasters can improve their sites to meet current best practices and established accessibility guidelines
- developing policies to make online information more accessible and usable
- assisting webmasters by providing clear campus guidelines on how to improve accessibility
- helping the campus prioritize efforts in creating new websites and modifying older websites.
The Digital Accessibility Committee is dedicated to the long term effort of improving the accessibility of our campus websites, but will need the active cooperation and efforts of campus webmasters for accessibility to be implemented at UIC.
Resource and Site Checks
The Digital Accessibility Committee is available to support campus webmasters. For more information and help with checking a site for accessibility, contact the committee.